Advertisement

Waiting on "Connecting to backup destination" for ever

Home Forums Crashplan on Other NAS systems Waiting on "Connecting to backup destination" for ever

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

I’ve been running Crashplan (Home, Free) on Windows 7 for several years without any issues other than automatic upgrades failing to complete once in awhile. (Downloading the latest installer and running that fixes it; a bit annoying but not serious.) However this is a problem: I haven’t had a successful backup in 45 days, the UI sits at “Connecting to backup destination” forever.

The backup destination is a 1TB USB drive with 407 GB free. I can open the drive in Windows Explorer and do whatever like such as create new folders and copy files — Note: I’ve not touched the CP backup folder at all.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Crashplan. I’ve deleted the cache twice, using the CP console and manually (following this guide: http://crashplan.probackup.nl/remote-backup/support/reference/clear-crashplan-cache.html). The destination drive shows as green in the UI.

CP UI waiting to connect, for days and days

What do I do to fix this?

Thanks.

Matt
    Participant

I decided to poke around in the Crashplan folder on the backup drive, and noticed that 3 files are updated today, and 3 more from 2 weeks ago (the last time I cleared cache I think). So clearly it is connecting to the drive in some manner.

folder contents, most recent to top

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’ve been there as well, on my Synology. As I’ve written somewhere in the past, sometimes CrashPlan just won’t run and it’s hard to know why.

If you haven’t gone through the guide below, please do. It will have some steps you might have done already but please read through it, as I believe it covers most of the common fixes for that kind of behavior – particularly the compact part:

Fixes for CrashPlan randomly restarting or not backing up

Cheers

an
    an
    Keymaster

One additional thing though: you’re on Windows, so don’t forget that you can simply reach for support via Code42, although they might be slow to reply.

Matt
    Participant

Thank you for the link! I will check it out with attention.

Matt
    Participant

Increasing the java heap size from 1024 to 2048 had no noticeable effect. The “compact” button doesn’t do anything, I expect because it has to complete connecting to backup destination to do that. I didn’t try clearing the cache (would have been the 4th time).

I did get a notice in the Crashplan UI about a failed upgrade. I hit retry, which was followed by a downloading message and then a reboot. There is a curiosity here. Control Panel Add/Remove Programs reports Crashplan 4.8.3.15 was installed on 2017-Jun-13, while version in the CP command console reports 2015 two years older, but same version number:

4.8.3 - 1436674800483 (2015-07-12T04:20:00:483+0000) - Build: 15

I will try and follow up with CrashPlan technical support.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Matt.
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Have you tried creating a new backup set, for testing purposes and disabling the other one?

Matt
    Participant

I don’t see a control for disabling a backup set. Do I just change from [Always] to [Between specified times] and then uncheck all the days?

…oh that’s curious. I have 3 backup sets (User Profiles, Pictures, Music), however the configuration controls only work on the 1st one. In the other 2 the [change] buttons are disabled and clicking [Always] and [Now] has no effect.

screenshot: backup pane

an
    an
    Keymaster

Yeah, by disabling I mean just setting no schedule or something to that avail, so that the other backup set would not compete with the main one.

But I forgot that the free version doesn’t allow you to create backup sets.

What about in the Advanced Settings, disabling data de-duplication and encryption?

Matt
    Participant

But I forgot that the free version doesn’t allow you to create backup sets.

Eh? I have 3 and running Home/Free. Maybe that’s the problem, they reduced the allowable feature set in Free after I started. The [Advanced] button is disabled. Another subscription feature?

I wonder what version I have to downgrade to, presumably something in the late 2016 early 2017 range.

an
    an
    Keymaster

It could be that. That’s something Support will be able to tell you, I guess.

Matt
    Participant

Crashplan tech support did respond to my query. After submitting my logs they were able to immediately point out disk I/O errors. Chkdsk /F reported a bad sector within the Crashplan destination folder. After fixing that Crashplan was able to connect to the destination and continue backing up. I’ll let that finish and then move everything to a new disk.

—–

Looking through the service logs (the other zip file), I am seeing over 3000 of the following errors since May 15, 2017 in relation to your G:\ drive.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

I would encourage you to run a disk health check on this drive to confirm there is not any major corruption and if your hard drive can repair itself. If that does not resolve the issue, you may have luck by moving the archive to either a different folder on the drive or a different drive altogether.

https://support.crashplan.com/Configuring/Moving_A_Backup_Archive_To_A_New_Folder_Or_Drive

Advertisement
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1MattHome › Forums › Crashplan on Other NAS systems › Waiting on "Connecting to backup destination" for ever Tagged: Windows This topic has 11 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Matt.Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total) Author Posts June 12, 2017 at 04:28 #1145 MattParticipant I’ve been...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close