Advertisement

Speed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jramskov
    Participant

What are peoples experience with the speed of upload? I’m slightly disappointed, but a course could be that it seems like Crashplan don’t have any datacenters in Europe. I’m located in Denmark and as far as I can see, my data it sent to a datacenter in USA.

Compression is not really relevant for my data as most of the data is compressed RAW files (photos) and movie files.

Current upload speed is 3.4Mbps and I rarely see it go higher than that. I have a 60/60Mbit connection and I believe I have allowed the Crashplan app all the ressources it wants, so it should be able to transfer much faster.

an
    an
    Keymaster

What are peoples experience with the speed of upload? I’m slightly disappointed, but a course could be that it seems like Crashplan don’t have any datacenters in Europe. I’m located in Denmark and as far as I can see, my data it sent to a datacenter in USA. Compression is not really relevant for my data as most of the data is compressed RAW files (photos) and movie files. Current upload speed is 3.4Mbps and I rarely see it go higher than that. I have a 60/60Mbit connection and I believe I have allowed the Crashplan app all the ressources it wants, so it should be able to transfer much faster.

From my experience (Portugal, fiber optic connection with 10 Mbps upload) what you’re getting is a pretty good transfer rate.

In the end, I just “set it and forget it”. It took a month or two to make the initial backup (~1.5Tb), but now, with incremental backups of a few Gb every now and then.

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

One thing though – don’t max out your RAM max heap value, in case you’re using a NAS. That will definitely start to be a performance bottleneck, especially with large data sets. I’ve set mine to around 80% the installed RAM.

jramskov
    Participant

One thing though – don’t max out your RAM max heap value, in case you’re using a NAS. That will definitely start to be a performance bottleneck, especially with large data sets. I’ve set mine to around 80% the installed RAM.

I added 2GB RAM to my DS1010+ so it now have 3GB and I have configured the heap to 2GB. I configured Crashplan to use up to 95% of the CPU and no limit on bandwidth. I haven’t touched the message buffer size or the QoS

I bought a month subscription to test and have 24 days left. It has so far uploaded around 325GB data, but I did “fool around” with settings, backup sets and such from the start so it’s not completely accurate. Aside from the speed, which I’m a bit disappointed in, it seems to run without issue.

an
    an
    Keymaster

You might want to check this out:

CrashPlan uploading unbelievably slow from DataHoarder

jramskov
    Participant

Thanks for that link, I’ve changed the data dedup. setting for WAN to 1 and it certainly seems to have speeded up the upload. It now runs at 12-16Mbps instead of around 3Mbps. It’s only been running for a few minutes so far. Will be interesting to see if it continues at that speed.

Advertisement
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Speed?’ is closed to new replies.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1jramskovHome › Forums › CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS › Speed? Tagged: crashplan, synology This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 9 months ago by  jramskov.Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total) Author Posts January 25, 2016 at 15:13 #388 jramskovParticipant What are peoples experience with the speed of...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close