Advertisement
CrashPlan Community Forum – Support & Assistance

Sep 29: Another update pushed and app stopped working

Home Forums CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS Sep 29: Another update pushed and app stopped working

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Again, if it says it’s synchronizing, I would let it run as is, that was the behavior I once saw with mine. The only thing you can do is to open a support ticket with CrashPlan and ask them.

Daniel
    Participant

I found some java exceptions in service.log.0 and entries saying “corrupt FMF entry” which sounded like corrupt cache.

So I’ve deleted the cache, restarted CrashPlan and this time in synced much quicker. Now it’s backing up 200GB, which means it found other other 800GB.

Ticket opened with CrashPlan support, but so far they have been far less helpful than this forum 🙂

As far as I’m concerned they could just close the support and hire you instead!

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Yeah, especially if they sense there a NAS involved… But hey, that’s great!

Paul King
    Participant

I am struggling to manually install the latest CrashPlan package. DSM 5.2 fails it saying “can not install”

In old versions of DSM you could configure install from “untrusted sources” but can’t see that option.

Anyone installed the new package on DSM 5.2?

an
    an
    Keymaster

I am struggling to manually install the latest CrashPlan package. DSM 5.2 fails it saying “can not install” In old versions of DSM you could configure install from “untrusted sources” but can’t see that option. Anyone installed the new package on DSM 5.2?

Hi,could it be this?

https://crashplan.setepontos.com/forums/topic/non-intel-cpus-apparently-are-no-longer-supported/

Jacob
    Participant

I stopped using Crashplan, too many updates and too many crashes. Now it even doesn’t work on non-intel Synology. Started using Hyper Backup with Amazon Cloud Drive, what a blessing. It works for backup and Cloud sync as well. Great speed and nearly the same price as CrashPlan. I will recommend my family to use Cloud Station that lets them backup to my Synology before the backup gets uploaded to the Amazon Cloud Drive.

an
    an
    Keymaster

I stopped using Crashplan, too many updates and too many crashes. Now it even doesn’t work on non-intel Synology. Started using Hyper Backup with Amazon Cloud Drive, what a blessing. It works for backup and Cloud sync as well. Great speed and nearly the same price as CrashPlan. I will recommend my family to use Cloud Station that lets them backup to my Synology before the backup gets uploaded to the Amazon Cloud Drive.

Even though I would love to have an alternative that worked natively in Synology NAS’s, CrashPlan is still the best option in many ways, with its cost right in first place, and even more so as your backup data size starts to grow to terabyte figures.

But as for Amazon Cloud Drive (or Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive), those are Cloud Storage solutions, not Cloud Backup solutions. The former lacks a lot of the backup specific features of the latter, for example proper versioning. I had a Windows Server go gradually bad during a couple of months, with extensive data corruption growing throughout, only to be detected at a later stage. That data corruption extended to the most recent CrashPlan backups. If it wasn’t for the earlier versions we would’ve had a gigantic problem in the company.

And then there’s this cautionary tale that one should always bear in mind:

A Cautionary Tale: How a Bug in Dropbox Permanently Deleted 8,000 of My Photos

an
    an
    Keymaster

Hi, going back to the “is there any way to block” the upgrade, here’s a suggestion that seems to be working, even for those that have downgraded to 4.7:

https://crashplan.setepontos.com/how-to-preventing-crashplans-auto-upgrade-process/

Advertisement
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement