Advertisement

Sep 29: Another update pushed and app stopped working

Home Forums CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS Sep 29: Another update pushed and app stopped working

• This topic has 22 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by an an.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Daniel
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve just noticed (as I’m trying to get CrashPlan to work because of another issue) that the package stopped working. There was an update pushed on the 29th of September and now the package won’t run.

Does anyone know if the old instructions (manually extract the jars) still work for this new version?

Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Daniel
    Participant

It seems that the upgrade script downloads a new version of java (1.8) and then messes up the install.

I’d post the log, but I get error 403 forbidden, so the site must be really unhappy about some characters in the log file.

Anyways, it cannot find the backup engine. I tried uninstalling CrashPlan and Java7, then installing Java8, and then installing CrashPlan and telling it to use Java8 from Synology.

It still went ahead and downloaded the upgrade and it’s own version of java and messed up the service.

I’m on holidays for a week, so I hope someone figures out a way to fix this. It’s beyond me why CrashPlan don’t have their own package for Synology.

Advertisement

Marc
    Participant

I do confirm java 8 requirement.

However there are other issues on non x86 or x64 architectures. I can’t get it to work again on ARM (raspberry pi) after the upgrade.

Daniel
    Participant

I’m on DS412+ which is Intel Atom D2700, so x64. It doesn’t help.

Also, the jar file is deleted during the upgrade, so I can’t even manually do it.

The whole /volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan/lib/ directory is missing!

Daniel
    Participant

Is there any way to block the upgrade? Reinstalling the package seems to bring a working version, but then when you stop and start the package it gets the upgrade which destroys the installation.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

I’m not checking my DS right now, but there are some solutions popping. Apparently if you’re using Java 1.7 it will break, and using Java 1.8 will make it run.

Check out what I’ve gathered so far on the page below and share your experiences with it.

CrashPlan 4.8.0 Installation Fix for Synology (1435813200480_286 October 2016)

Daniel
    Participant

Hi,

I can confirm the fix #1 worked for me. I didn’t have syno_package.vars anymore, so I created a new file with just the USR_MAX_HEAP setting. I don’t remember if there was anything else in this file.

It seems to be scanning and synchronising, so I guess it’s ok. The upgrade happened in the middle of compacting the backup, and I didn’t have a working crashplan for 12 days, so we’ll see. Fingers crossed 🙂

Thanks for your help!

an
    an
    Keymaster

I’ve updated the article with basically what was the easiest solution (#3) to implement when this happened with 4.7.0. Read it over there for clarity:

CrashPlan 4.8.0 Installation Fix for Synology (1435813200480_286 October 2016)

imanzano
    Participant

However there are other issues on non x86 or x64 architectures. I can’t get it to work again on ARM (raspberry pi) after the upgrade.

Yes Marc, I think that there is an architecture issue. On an ARM device, I think that we need a replacement for the new file “libc42archive.so”. With that name probably is a a file created by code42.

There is a note in the release notes for some operating systems “Removes support for Windows XP, Windows Vista, OS X v10.7.5, and OS X v10.8. Devices on these operating systems will not upgrade to CrashPlan app version 4.8.”. We can reinstall the older version, but I don’t know how to make the crashplan client to not update automatically.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Patters has pushed a new package version today, have you tried it?

“Updated to CrashPlan 4.8.0, Java 8 is now required, added optional dedicated Java 8 Runtime instead of the default system one, including 64bit Java support on 64 bit Intel CPUs to permit memory allocation larger than 4GB”

Marc
    Participant

I suspect we can disable updates by symlinking usr/local/upgrade folder to /dev/null

But I doubt it will work for very long ..

an
    an
    Keymaster

I can’t say if you can or not, but patters seems to think it’s not possible:

Unfortunately no way to block. At some point (if not already) Code42 will migrate your backup archive on their servers forcing you to version 4.8.0.

Daniel
    Participant

Um guys, I’m starting to worry at this point about the safety of my data.

I got CrashPlan working finally, and thanks for all your help. But now it’s stuck at synchronising and it shows 1 file and 0MB of data. I had 1TB of documents and photos that are irreplaceable.

Is it possible that CrashPlan is deleting all my data now?

I logged into crashplan and it shows my system as 100% backed up with 0MB and 1 file!

an
    an
    Keymaster

Um guys, I’m starting to worry at this point about the safety of my data. I got CrashPlan working finally, and thanks for all your help. But now it’s stuck at synchronising and it shows 1 file and 0MB of data. I had 1TB of documents and photos that are irreplaceable. Is it possible that CrashPlan is deleting all my data now? I logged into crashplan and it shows my system as 100% backed up with 0MB and 1 file!

If it says “Synchronizing”, my opinion is to let it to its thing. I remember it took more than a day, maybe even a couple, for anything useful to come up eventually. You can also check your backup via web browser on the CrashPlan site, at least you’ll find it there.

Daniel
    Participant

If it says “Synchronizing”, my opinion is to let it to its thing. I remember it took more than a day, maybe even a couple, for anything useful to come up eventually. You can also check your backup via web browser on the CrashPlan site, at least you’ll find it there.

That’s the problem, on CrashPlan site it shows my NAS as 0MB and 100% complete. So it looks like CrashPlan deleted all my files on the site, and I’m afraid it might do the same on the NAS.

I’ve stopped the package for now as I’m not sure what it’s doing. I could just remove the backup and let it upload 1TB of data, but seeing this has shaken my faith in CrashPlan as a product. Also I would lose all version history (it’s probably gone already).

Advertisement
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1DanielHome › Forums › CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS › Sep 29: Another update pushed and app stopped working Tagged: crashplan, fix, synology, upgrade This topic has 22 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  an.Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total) 1 2 → Author Posts September 30, 2016 at...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close