Advertisement

Lower Crashplan Upload Speed for smaller files from Synology NAS

Home Forums General Discussion Off-Topic Discussions Lower Crashplan Upload Speed for smaller files from Synology NAS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jai
    Participant

I’ve over 6TB of Data, mainly pics and video files. The upload Internet speed from ISP is 10 mbps. I’ve noticed if the file which is getting backed up >1GB i get upload speed close to 9 mbps and at times even 10 mbps. But if the file is < 1GB then i get upload speed close to 2 mbps. My Deduping setting is on “Automatic” which I dont intend to change because as the data is backed up i’m moving files (between folders) to better organize my data. Any suggestions on how to increase the upload speed of smaller files (<1GB) ?

Attaching screenshot of network settings.

Thanks,

Jai

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    an
    an
    Keymaster

The behaviour your describing, regarding file upload speed is what happens when you copy files on your local computer, although less noticeable because the computer is able to cope with a lot more data.

If you copy one million files with 1 Kb each or copy one file of 1 Gb, the latter will be copied substantially faster. In the end it’s one operation again a million.

On the other hand, headless installs cannot (AFAIK) control CrashPlan’s processor occupancy – if you could, by increasing the threshold you should see an improvement.

In any case, Code42 write about this just like it is – a tradeoff. You either get the speed boost by disabling all the deduplication features or it will be slower.  You can read all about that, including Code42’s opinion, here:

CrashPlan Performance Tips

Advertisement
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1JaiHome › Forums › General Discussion › Off-Topic Discussions › Lower Crashplan Upload Speed for smaller files from Synology NAS This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  an.Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total) Author Posts May 4, 2017 at...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close