Advertisement

Goodbye ARM and PowerPC compatibility

Home Forums CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS Goodbye ARM and PowerPC compatibility

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sander
    Participant

Quoting Patters :

“It looks like version 5 will be a native client (no Java) so it’s probably not going to work unless you have an Intel NAS for the Linux build (which isn’t out yet). Goodbye ARM and PowerPC compatibility.”

So, goodbye Crashplan. What’s next?

DSM can sync out-of-the-box with :

• Amazon Cloud Drive
    • Amazon S3 compatible cloud services (Amazon S3, HiCloud S3 and SFR Stockage)
    • Baidu Cloud
    • Box
    • Dropbox (including Dropbox for Business)
    • Google Cloud Storage
    • Google Drive
    • hubiC
    • Megafon Megadisk
    • Microsoft OneDrive
    • OpenStack Swift compatible cloud services (IBM SoftLayer, HP Helion Cloud, RackSpace, RackSpace UK)
    • WebDAV
    • Yandex Disk

What will be the best successor?

an
    an
    Keymaster

Quoting Patters : “It looks like version 5 will be a native client (no Java) so it’s probably not going to work unless you have an Intel NAS for the Linux build (which isn’t out yet). Goodbye ARM and PowerPC compatibility.” So, goodbye Crashplan. What’s next? DSM can sync out-of-the-box with :

• Amazon Cloud Drive
    • Amazon S3 compatible cloud services (Amazon S3, HiCloud S3 and SFR Stockage)
    • Baidu Cloud
    • Box
    • Dropbox (including Dropbox for Business)
    • Google Cloud Storage
    • Google Drive
    • hubiC
    • Megafon Megadisk
    • Microsoft OneDrive
    • OpenStack Swift compatible cloud services (IBM SoftLayer, HP Helion Cloud, RackSpace, RackSpace UK)
    • WebDAV
    • Yandex Disk

What will be the best successor?

I guess that CrashPlan still poses some advantages on being very affordable and in some features (specially unlimited versioning), so much that users may consider to upgrade their NAS systems. I started out with an ARM QNAP and a few years upgraded do a Synology with a x86 processor mainly because of memory expansibility but also because Java was more reliable on x86 back then.

On the other hand, we don’t actually know what Code42 is going to do about each and every platform. I do think that going away from Java is a good thing: the memory occupancy of the CrashPlan process is just incomprehensibly high, when compared with a DropBox or OneDrive setup.

Advertisement

Jonathan Duke
    Participant

From what I’ve seen of the 5.0.1 distribution, there’s Java still there, at least for the server.  There are still bits of Java in the client end as well, but not to the extent of the server.

Advertisement
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1SanderHome › Forums › CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS › Goodbye ARM and PowerPC compatibility This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 10 months ago by  Jonathan Duke.Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total) Author Posts November 7, 2015 at 19:54 #258 SanderParticipant Quoting Patters : “It looks...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close