Advertisement

CrashPlan upgrade fails on Qnap TS-453A

Home Forums Crashplan on Other NAS systems CrashPlan upgrade fails on Qnap TS-453A

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Max
    Participant

I have a Computer running Windows 10 and a NAS, e QNAP TS-453A running the latest build/releases of my subscription CrashPlan Family.

On the Computer I have installed CrashPlan 4.7.0
    On the NAS I have installed the latest QNAP Package of Java JRE 8.65.0 and CrashPlan 4.7.0_43

I follow the rules here to access the headless config panel running on the qnap http://192.168.202.212/crashplan/
    I am able to open that crashplan config page on my QNAP to retrieve the connecting string and IP, save it, restart it.
    I then copy the connection string and IP to my c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info

I can now sucessfully connect to the headless server (the CrashPlan Software on my QNAP)
    SUDDENLY the problem starts: CrashPlan Upgrade Installation is starting automatically!
    Crashplan detects some “new” version and tries to install it. This will shut down the Java and the Crashplan apps, both are now unavailable.

And they stay unavailable. I can check the Java and Web processes on the qnap, both are dead and remain dead even if restarting CrashPlan. Only removing and reinstalling CrashPlan will allow access again but it will suddenly try to update itself and the breaks again. Loop.

For crashplan to work on the QNAP nas, the Java Software must be running and the Webserver must be available. You can SSH on the qnap to verify:

[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/JRE] # ps –ef | grep java
    25433 admin 255084 S /usr/local/jre/bin/java.patched -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms512m -Xmx512m -Dsun.net.inet
    27470 admin 416 S grep java
    [/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/JRE] # netstat -an | grep 4243
    tcp 0 0 192.168.202.212:4243 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (tcp)’ on this system.
    netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (udp)’ on this system.
    netstat: no support for `AF INET6 (raw)’ on this system.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

I’ll be of limited help because I’m use Synology mostly, but given that this is (unfortunately) standard behavior, you might want to try to go trough these two articles where some solutions were applied to similar issues in Synology NAS’s:

CrashPlan 4.7.0 Installation Fix for Synology (1435813200470_317 May 2016)

CrashPlan 4.7.0 Installation Fix for Synology (1435813200470_344 July 2016)

In particular, this could be related to CrashPlan trying to find the Java installation and not finding it after the auto-upgrade process (see Suggestion 1 on the first link).

Advertisement

Max
    Participant

Hi An

Thank you for the hints, I tested some more, here are my steps to success on August 17th 2016

Regards, Matthias

Here is what I did:

Install Crashplan 4.7.0 on your (Windows) computer
    Update Qnap Firmware OS 4.2.2
    Remove Entware/Optware (if installed)
    Reinstall Entware-ng_0.97.qpkg
    Install CrashPlan_4.7.0_44_x86.qpkg
    -> Installation successfull but Crashplan Webservice unavailable

Stop JRE 8.65
    Stop Crashplan 4.70
    Start JRE 8.65
    Start Crashplan 4.70
    -> Crashplan Webservice works
    Set IP on Webinterface
    -> Putty test fails (-Dapp=CrashPlanService not running – see below for putty tests), means that the Java Process is not running
    Stop Crashplan 4.70
    Stop JRE 8.65
    Start JRE 8.65
    Start Crashplan 4.70
    -> Putty test OK (-Dapp=CrashPlanService is running, Port 4243 is listening)

Exit Windows Crashplan
    Manipulate c:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info
    Restarting Windows Crashplan.
    -> Crashplan now works and let me login and configure settings.

Suddenly Crashplan finds an update and wants to install it which breaks the whole installation: No more Java, no more port, no more webgui.

Stop Crashplan 4.70
    Stop JRE 8.65
    Start JRE 8.65
    Start Crashplan 4.70

-> Now it’s working and backing up.

savoo
    Participant

Hi Max

This week i have the same issue that you, but for me the next steps works great:

Install Crashplan 4.7.0 on computer
    Install Entware-ng_0.97.qpkg
    Install CrashPlan_4.7.0_44_x86.qpkg

if crahplan webservice unavailable it was enough (for me), to stop and start the crashplan client on the nas.

Set IP and RAM on webinterface
    replace the line in .ui_info
    Starting Windows Crashplan.
    After login crashplan find an update and after a while it crashed.
    Restart crashplan and it couldn’t connect to crashplan server.
    I found the crashplan webservice on qnap crashed again, stopped-started it and everything goes well.

Advertisement
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1MaxHome › Forums › Crashplan on Other NAS systems › CrashPlan upgrade fails on Qnap TS-453A Tagged: auto-upgrade, qnap, repair This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 1 month ago by  savoo.Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total) Author Posts August 16, 2016 at 12:30 #754 MaxParticipant I have...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close