Advertisement

Crashplan on QNAP QTS 4.3.3

Home Forums Crashplan on Other NAS systems Crashplan on QNAP QTS 4.3.3

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rob
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Is anyone successfully running Crashplan on QTS 4.3.3? Can you share your experience?

I use the Crashplan app provided by the QNAP store. I would like to update to the latest QTS version (4.3.3), but I’m not sure if the app will run on the 64 bit system. I tried using QNAP’s compatibility tool to check it, but I can’t seem to get the tool to run on my system.

Any tips/ideas will be appreciated

an
    an
    Keymaster

I can’t say for sure, but that version is mentioned on dynek/crashplan-qpkg changelog on github:

sorry ARM users, no more support. rejoice x86 users, QTS 4.3.3 enable…

I’ve caught your post on Qnap’s forums, but more importantly dynek (the package author) exchanging some info on another topic as well, that you might have missed:

https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=227&t=131740&p=612359&hilit=Crashplan+on+QTS+4.3.3#p612359

The topic is mostly about CrashPlan 4.8.0_45 not working with QTS 4.3.3.

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Just for reference of other visitors, I saw there a suggestion (from user alexyeung) that may help, that refers to virtualize CrashPlan using Docker, just like it can be done on a Synology NAS:

dynek has done great work developing a qpkg for Crashplan. The downside, is that whenever Crashplan pushes an update, the app stops working until dynek can fix it (QNAP Forum Thread).
    The alternative is to run Crashplan within a Container Station virtual docker. With this solution, Crashplan works normally even after updates:
    Setup CrashPlan on QNAP using Docker virtualisation

Rob
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll try both methods to see which works best for me.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Thanks! I’ll try both methods to see which works best for me.

No problem! One other thing I remembered is that you can also try to block the auto-upgrade procedure entirely, just like we do it on Synology NAS‘, you’ll just need to consider that the folder locations are different (here’s a reference of these folders, including for QNAP).

So in theory, if you are able to install the package created by dynek you should be able to block the upgrade process right after installation and before it runs (i.e. because after running it will try to start the upgrade process).

These commands should work (if the folder location is correct):

cd /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/CrashPlan
    sudo mv upgrade upgrade.tmp
    sudo touch upgrade
    sudo chmod 444 upgrade

I don’t know if it’s necessary to ‘sudo‘ but it won’t hurt.

If you do try this and it works do report back!

Advertisement
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?fit=512%2C512&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/crashplanbackup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/crashplan-fix.png?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1RobHome › Forums › Crashplan on Other NAS systems › Crashplan on QNAP QTS 4.3.3 This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  an.Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total) Author Posts May 2, 2017 at 12:50 #996 RobParticipant Hi everyone, Is anyone successfully running...Unofficial Help & Support Forum for CrashPlan, Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Solutions - Find Help, Support and a Knowledge base

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close