Advertisement

Another update and CrashPlan package fails to start again (ver 1436674800482_4)

Home Forums CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS Another update and CrashPlan package fails to start again (ver 1436674800482_4)

• This topic has 35 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  Jai.
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Thanks for your feedback. I ended up updating myself so that I could confirm the procedure and write a KB article for others to find.

Considering I’ve been experiencing some server timeouts while CrashPlan is running, when accessing my DS412+, I chose to use the dedicated install instead, to see if that makes a difference. It worked and upgraded fairly easily to 4.8.2 and it is now synchronising (without any adoption).

Here goes:

1. Using terminal, copy cpio:

sudo cp /volume1/@appstore/CrashPlan/bin/cpio /bin/cpio
    2. Place the Java SE Runtime file in your public share (you need a Oracle login to get it from here, the latest version of patters’ package requires not the latest Java package, but version 8u121: jre-8u121-linux-x64.tar.gz)
    3. Uninstall CrashPlan using DSM Package Manager
    4. Install CrashPlan using DSM Package Manager
    5. Wait a moment and try to run it (in my case it wouldn’t run) so I uninstalled/reinstalled one more time
    6. You can read the real time log with terminal open:
      tail -f /var/packages/CrashPlan/target/log/service.log.0
    7. You should see the install script starting the upgrade and finishing with “Service stopped normally”.
    8. Wait a moment and try to run the package again; if it fails, wait some more time and run again. The tail log should now show lots of output, which means it’s running.
    9. After this, don’t forget:
      1. Change the .ui_info file contents, using this guide. Note that this first time the headless .ui_info may be ending in 0.0.0.0 – this means that the next time you restart CrashPlan it will change, and then showing the correct headless server IP.
      2. Check if the GUI is properly connecting and login
      3. Change your Java Max Heap size if necessary, using this guide (Solution 2 for persistence) and restart
      4. Verify your .ui_info connection info again – it may have been broken after the restart
    10. You may now block the auto-upgrade process, using this guide
    11. Check if the GUI is properly connecting.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ve placed both instructions on a new KB article, that may help others as well:

https://crashplan.setepontos.com/crashplan-4-8-2-installation-fix-for-synology-1436674800482_4-april-2017/

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

Again, DSM has an update I need to apply which most likely will restart Synology and I may be back at square 0, oh the fun.

I’ve upgraded DSM after upgrading CrashPlan and it survived the process just fine!

David Cleminson
    Participant

Hi All,

I had the issue which was solved using the article however I had to make 2 changes:

1. Used the DSM Java8 install
    2. Changed the “/var/packages/CrashPlan/target/install.vars” file “JAVACOMMON=/<<volume2>>/@appstore/Java8/j2sdk-image/jre/bin/java”

Also deleted all the CrasPlan folders after the uninstall (for a clean install):

• /var/packages/CrashPlan
    • /var/lib/crashplan
    •  /<<volume2>>/@appstore/CrashPlan

Working like a dream….

an
    an
    Keymaster

Working like a dream….

Thanks for the input, David!

Jai
    Participant

Thanks An for putting this together. Its working for me for last 24 hrs. Followed your instructions.

Advertisement
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement