Advertisement
CrashPlan Community Forum – Support & Assistance

Another update and CrashPlan package fails to start again (ver 1436674800482_4)

Home Forums CrashPlan on Synology DiskStation NAS Another update and CrashPlan package fails to start again (ver 1436674800482_4)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Randy Scott
    Participant

I have the same problem as Jai, where the auto-upgrade breaks it.  I am on 4.8.2 client

Here is what I’ve done:

1. Uninstall CrashPlan
    2. Reinstall CrashPlan (ensure do not run after installation)
    3. Run the disable-upgrade procedure
    4. Connect to the Headless CrashPlan — it will ask you to log in
    5. After entering username and password, it will attempt to update — this will fail because of Step #3 above
    6. Log back in and re-enable upgrade folder
    7. Try to Connect to Headless CrashPlan again — it will upgrade and be successful
    8. It will attempt to scan for new folders and then stop

Here is a screenshot of the log up to step #8:

Logs

CrashPlan Logs

Randy Scott
    Participant

It works now.

1. I added the HEAP_SIZE to syno vars
    2. Then I deleted the Heap_size
    3. Then I started CrashPlan again
    4. Then it stopped
    5. Then I started CrashPlan again, and it worked.

I guess, just keep stopping and restarting until it works with the upgrade

Advertisement
    an
    an
    Keymaster

It might the case that the client is making the upgrade mandatory for further connections – it would be expected Code42 would do that at some point in time, at least with some versions.

In any case – and again – did you make sure the Java heap was adequate after installation?

Also, don’t forget CrashPlan’s erratic behaviour after these issues with auto-upgrades. Reviewing this may help:

https://crashplan.setepontos.com/fixes-for-crashplan-randomly-restarting-or-not-backing-up/

Krachvik
    Participant

I have the same problem as Jai, where the auto-upgrade breaks it. I am on 4.8.2 client Here is what I’ve done:

Uninstall CrashPlan
    Reinstall CrashPlan (ensure do not run after installation)
    Run the disable-upgrade procedure
    Connect to the Headless CrashPlan — it will ask you to log in
    After entering username and password, it will attempt to update — this will fail because of Step #3 above
    Log back in and re-enable upgrade folder
    Try to Connect to Headless CrashPlan again — it will upgrade and be successful
    It will attempt to scan for new folders and then stop
    Here is a screenshot of the log up to step #8:

CrashPlan Logs

Thanks for this. I almost got it working using these steps.

However, after step 7 the Crashplan client window disappears after about 10 seconds because Crashplan service on the Synology stops.

It seems like you cannot block the update, otherwise Crashplan client fails to update and just stalls.

Is this a Java related issue? My logs says the following:

https://pastebin.com/zWSg35HP

I have a DS916+ wich i am sure needs the x64 version of java, yet as per error message above, upgrade script thinks its incompatible.

Any ideas? this sucks

an
    an
    Keymaster

From that log it seems it downloads JRE, and goes on from there.

However, after step 7 the Crashplan client window disappears after about 10 seconds because Crashplan service on the Synology stops.

While you have the window open, quickly check and set your java heap high enough through the internal command line, it may be crashing because it’s set too low; it’s by far the most common issue. See “Solution 1“, here:

https://crashplan.setepontos.com/changing-the-java-heap-available-memory-for-crashplan/

Krachvik
    Participant

Thank you An. I will give it a go.

I did change the syno_package.vars with 1500M prior to doing this, so I am not sure it is the same.

I’ll try the Solution 1 like you said. Also, does it matter if my entire backup is about 35GB?

Krachvik
    Participant

I plugged in the

java mx 1536, restart

It initially failed the same way as I described earlier (Client closed and Crashplan service stopped).

I then started it and it said it failed to start.

I tried to start it again and that time is stuck and is currently running it seems. Thanks so much!

Should I change it to prevent auto-updates to avoid future nightmares?

Also, should I still uncomment and change USR_MAX_HEAP in the syno_package.vars to make it a more persistent? Currently checking the syno_package.vars, #USR_MAX_HEAP=1024M is commented by default. I assumed Solution 1 “java mx 1536” did that, just at the client level but that’s not the case.

Sorry for the wall of text:)

Krachvik
    Participant

From that log it seems it downloads JRE, and goes on from there.

Yes, after the upgrade script determined my java was not compatible, it downloaded  jre-linux-i586-1.8.0_72.tgz which is for 32 bit systems? My DS is x64 from what i’ve read.

I believe the built in Java8 from Synology is 1.8.0_121 which is newer than the one Crashplan script downloaded.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Glad it’s working! It’s incredible how many times CrashPlan has these issues sorted just because we keep on trying exactly the same thing.  But it does happen!

Also, does it matter if my entire backup is about 35GB?

That’s a quite small dataset, so the java heap was most likely not the source of your issue  (unless you have files in the millions). The figures recommended by Code42 are as follows:

Backup Selection Size / Recommended Memory Setting (MB)

• 1.5 TB or 1.5 million files /1536
    • 2 TB or 2 million files / 2048
    • 2.5 TB or 2.5 million files / 2560
    • 3 TB or 3 million files / 3072

should I still uncomment and change USR_MAX_HEAP in the syno_package.vars to make it a more persistent? Currently checking the syno_package.vars, #USR_MAX_HEAP=1024M is commented by default.

Again, considering your dataset you don’t have to change anything related to the java heap, it will run fine.

an
    an
    Keymaster

Should I change it to prevent auto-updates to avoid future nightmares?

I don’t think it is absolutely necessary, but I do it myself just to avoid having multiple days of downtime while trying to solve the issue. This might have had something to do with previous installations were 32bit and maybe CrashPlan has to install in 64bit. This article from Code42 seems to be related to that: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Code42_App_Does_Not_Run/Code42_App_Does_Not_Run_On_64-Bit_System

Krachvik
    Participant

Thank you very much for your responses.

Well, then I am at a loss as to why it is now working. I will re-verify later today if it is still the case. My Synology needs to be updated so that will be interesting.

Interestingly, the update , as per above pastebin logs, said my current Java was NOT compatible which is a x64 one and consequently downloaded a x32 bit one instead.

Do you also use the built-in Java8 from Synology? if so, have you updated it to the latest from java website 

Thanks,

an
    an
    Keymaster

Well, then I am at a loss as to why it is not working. I will re-verify later today if it is still the case. My Synology needs to be updated so that will be interesting.

Sorry but I misunderstood earlier – I thought it eventually started to work.

In my case, I still have my CrashPlan setup with auto-upgrade blocked (screenshot attached), and it is still running. I’m using Java 8 from Synology, and I think CrashPlan is using it. Note that when you install the CrashPlan package you can select whether it will use the Synology’s package or not.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Krachvik
    Participant

Sorry, that was a typo which I corrected. It IS running.

During installation it gives a choice to use “Built-in” and “Dedicated” Java. This last time, i used “Built-in”. is that the Java8 from Synology?

Thanks!

an
    an
    Keymaster

During installation it gives a choice to use “Built-in” and “Dedicated” Java. This last time, i used “Built-in”. is that the Java8 from Synology?

Yes, the “Built-in” is the Synology package. I’m yet to make a decision on which is better though, maybe someone chips in on the matter.

But it’s great you got it running!

Krachvik
    Participant

Thansk again An.

The Crashplan service is still running, so for completeness sake and most likely for re-visiting this next time Crashplan breaks, I’ll outline what I think I did so far:

1. Uninstalled Crashplan
    2. Confirmed Built-In Synology Java8 is installed
    3. Reinstalled Crashplan
      1. chose Built-in Java (NOT dedicated)
      2. unchecked the option to start service upon completion)
    4. Disabled Auto-update process
    5. Connected to the Crashplan server from client and logged on using my credentials at which point it said “Updating client” but nothing happened because it couldn’t update (auto-update is disabled)
      1. did not close the client window (reused at step 8)
    6. Re-enabled Auto-update process
    7. Plugged in my credentials again at the client windows I already had opened
    8. Crashplan window came up
      1. IMPORTANT
      2. while the client window was still up, double clicked the Crashplan logo and typed in “java mx 1536, restart” as per An’s suggestion
    9. Crashplan service stopped
    10. Started Crashplan service
      1. was informed it failed
    11. Started Crashplan again and this time it stayed running

Thanks for all the feedback and help. I suppose I’ll be back when it fails again.

Again, DSM has an update I need to apply which most likely will restart Synology and I may be back at square 0, oh the fun.

Advertisement
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's what other Users are reading:

Affiliate Links
Advertisement